Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. It cannot be seen, smelled or tasted, and can be fatal when high levels are inhaled. Symptoms of carbon monoxide can be similar to those of the flu and allergies. Carbon monoxide poisoning may also be misdiagnosed as migraine headache, stroke, food poisoning or heart disease. More than 500 people in the United States die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning each year. CO poisoning more seriously affects infants, people with lung or heart disease, the elderly, and people with anemia.
There are several sources of carbon monoxide:
1)Combustion equipment such as furnaces or water heaters, when not working properly or having a blocked exhaust system
2)Fuel-burning machinery such as generators used indoors, without proper ventilation
3)Car exhaust fumes entering the house, usually from a garage
Here are tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
1) Never run a car in a closed garage.
2) Make sure fuel burning appliances are installed by a professional and are working properly.
Choose vented appliances when possible.
3) Have heating systems and chimneys inspected each year.
4) During winter months, check frequently that vents, flues, and chimneys are not blocked by snow or ice.
Replace air filters on heating and cooling systems frequently.
5) Never run a generator, power washer, or any diesel or gasoline-powered engine inside a home, basement, garage, or other enclosed structure.
6) Keep your home well ventilated; install ventilation for indoor combustion appliances and consider installing air exchanges or air conditioning if the home is tightly sealed.
7) Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, camping lantern, or portable stove inside your home, tent or camper.
Install carbon monoxide detectors near bedrooms.
Call the local building or code enforcement agency if you have concerns about the combustion appliances in the home.
Author:Brandi Rademacher Phone: 253-224-6663 Dated: September 4th 2011 Views: 1,454 About Brandi: Brandi Rademacher with RE/MAX Realty South is the Professional Realtor who other Realtors come to fo...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
RE/MAX Realty South real estate brokerages employ full time, highly productive, experienced and educated brokers focused on serving their real estate clients and communities at the highest possible level to create the best possible result...even in these rapidly changing times and uncertain economy. We provide accurate, detailed information, data and advice so that our clients make informed decisions. We're committed to life long relationships founded in integrity and mutual respect. We're here to help...at all stages in all situations.
According toGeorge Ratiu,Senior Economistforrealtor.com:"The ability
" Brandi spent an entire Saturday running my husband (who had just flown in for a couple days from Connecticut) all around to different towns near and far from the Olympia area. She was very friendly and professional in every interaction we have had, and she always looked out for our best interests. I believe she sincerely wanted to help us find the perfect house to suit our preferences. In addition, she drove to several homes that we were interested in and made videos so that we could get a clear idea of what the houses and neighborhoods were like. I wholeheartedly recommend working with Brandi! Best experience we've ever had with a realtor, hands down. "